Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Japanese Dish # 1 : Tempura and Cold Soba


SOBA is Japanese noodle that made from buckwheat flour. 
Soba contains all eight essential amino acids, antioxidants, and other essential nutrients. 

We eat soba either hot or cold. 
Today, I made cold soba that dip into sauce with Shrimp Tempra and Veggie Tempra. 


First, you need to cool noodle.
It's basically same as cooking pasta, but NO SALT in the water.
And you need to wash noodle after cooking, so that extra flour can be washed out, and you get clean taste :)
As noodles cool down, I made Tempura.

TEMPURA is some of you know, if you go to Japanese restaurant, battered and deep fried food.
You can get this kind of batter at Asian stores or maybe any grocery stores near by.


You get direction on the back of the box or bag, so I don't really need to go into detail.
But the key to make crispy tempura is to keep batter COLD!!
Some restaurant in Japan, put some ice cubes to keep it cold.

Just mix powder and water (don't mix too well otherwise you get thick fritter like tempura...)


Then just deep fry them.

Don't put too many veggies and seafood at a same time, the temperature of the oil get lowered.






Today I just julienne some veggies, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, and mushroom, and mix them into the batter.

This is more like veggie cakes.






And of course deep fry them.










Ta-Da!!
Easy!!

Oh, and I use store-bought sauce for dipping sauce, like this.

I think you can get this at any grocery stores... yea I've seen this before.
Sometime you need to water down a bit, and sometime you just use straight, I think you get directions on the back of the bottle.







The veggie cakes are great with just salt.
My hubby loved them.
He said it's better than chips :)

I hope you will try this dish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment