Monday, March 3, 2014

Healthy, but not so healthy oat bran muffin

I was craving some kind of muffin that Ken and I  can eat for breakfast, and I found a box of oat bran in my kitchen cabinet.
So I baked this muffin the other day and I love it! Of course Ken loved it too.


Oat bran, banana and carrot make this muffin healthy ( I was gonna put apple sauce too, if I could have found it in my pantry....), but I just couldn't help making it without chocolate chips..... 
This is probably not an ideal breakfast choice because of chocolate chips in it, but why not putting some sweet so you start the morning with happy tummy... :P

Plus, these are MINI muffins so kids can eat easily and cleanly and perfect size as a sweet snack; sometime regular size muffins are too big, well at least for me....


Here is the ingredients and recipe:
This will make 12 MINI muffins.
*1/4 cup butter, softened
*1/4 cup or less sugar, brown sugar might be a better choice
*1 large ripe banana, mashed
*1 carrot, grated
*1 eggs
*1/2 cup all purpose or wheat flour
*1/4 cup oat bran
*1/2 teaspoon baking soda
*1/2 teaspoon grounded cinnamon 
*1/4 teaspoon  salt
*A handful of chocolate chips (optional)

1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 12 mini muffin cups.

2. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Mix in the mashed banana, grated carrots, and eggs. Stir in flour, oat bran, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
I had to make sure all muffin has some chocolate...so I put a piece  of chocolate chip on the top of all muffins...

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, I used a chopstick since I didn't have a toothpick.


Even with oat bran, this muffin is so moist, and after few days in a fridge it is still moist.
Ripe banana makes this sweet so you don't need ton of sugar which is healthy.
You can definitely enjoy them without chocolate chips and might be healthier for you.

I hope you enjoy this sweet and healthy muffin!!
Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment